STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Backyard Box Office







Who needs HBO or Netflix when you have live entertainment right in your own backyard? The kitties and I have been watching Red Squirrel Theatre.




























Yep, the battle continues. "Little Red" has figured out how to jump down onto the suet balls... watching his antics has been most entertaining. I think I will nominate him for an Emmy Award... wonder if there's an Emmy for best stunt man squirrel? I must say, he makes the day more interesting for Scamp, and he keeps me laughing, now that I've just given up on trying to keep him away from the suet...

























On a happy note, I have had a flock of robins in the backyard. Yes, a FLOCK. Not just one or two, but at least 10. They have been feasting on the old apples still clinging to one tree. This is not a great photo, taken two days ago, but it's the best I could get from a distance. Today a number of robins were on the ground, pecking at some fallen apple bits. It is so wonderful to see robins here in February, it gives me hope for an early spring!! A nice thought after last week's storms.

Peace,
Linda

"No winter lasts forever, no spring skips its turn." ~ Hal Borland

9 comments:

kath001 said...

Why, oh why, didn't I get a cat instead of a puppy? LOL

I just began reading 'Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World,' so a nice calm cat purring on my lap while I'm reading sounds lovely (as opposed to a crazy-wired puppy barking loudly and trying to go THROUGH the windows to get to the squirrels.)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

When my daughter was little we had a kitty that looked just like yours. His name was Mr. Kitty. He did not use the litter box. He would cry at the door when it was time to go outside. Once I looked out the back door and saw Mr. Kitty chasing a white German Shepherd out of our yard.

We watch the feeders too for entertainment. I just can't let the dogs watch because we fear they will hit the patio doors too hard and break the glass. We have blue bird and sparrows vying for nest boxes already. I think spring will be early here. Our robins stay all year round, though you don't see them in the winter. I read that they go to wooded areas to ride out the winter.
xx, Carol

Jennifer said...

We don't have squirrels here, so when visiting Canada we have found their antics very entertaining.......and their tails are so pretty!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Squirrels are quite the acrobats, aren't they? We have goldfinches by the dozens right now. We have to fill the feeder every other day! Hugs!

Pamela Gordon said...

Cute pics of the squirrel Linda. And Scamp! She looks pretty intent on the show. ;) A flock of robins? Awesome. I want to plant a fruit tree to draw some birds in the winter. I guess we'd have to fence it in though as the deer would eat it. We can't win! We have two red squirrels around this week gobbling up the seeds on the ground. Enjoy these milder days. The snow is melting!!

Vee said...

It's been so warm in the south that those robins thought it was time to migrate. 😊 Hope they don't have any rude awakenings. My aunt just told me yesterday that a person can tell when s/he is growing old because his/her entertainment comes from watching birds and squirrels. I am guilty! I have even learned how to sneak up on the birds so they don't see my reflection in the window. Grand Central out there today...

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,
I love hearing about your backyard entertainment. You have had quite the winter in the East compared to us in Ontario.I'm happy for you that it looks like Spring is going to come early this year.Global warning or not we all need something to lift our spirits after last year which was difficult for many of us. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Karen said...

Fabulous squirrel pictures, Linda!! We had to take all of our feeders down as Polly goes outside. Needless to say, she was negatively impacting the bird population. Nice to see the robins for sure!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh no! I have clearly missed far too many of your posts recently, Linda! I didn't know you have again a cat (or cats!). Scamp looks beautiful and intelligent. :)
I don't know if squirrels are intelligent, but they surely are fast, acrobatic and great fun to follow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...