STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Another small finish



Another small finish to share with you today. I did this piece recently as another sample for my Walking Foot Quilting class, it's about 11" square. "Matchstick quilting" is the term given to straight lines of quilting evenly spaced very closely together; these are 1/8" apart.  It is really quite easy to do once you know how. It's a great exercise in getting familiar with your walking foot and learning to use it properly to space your lines of stitching. Many quilters don't come close to using this foot to its full potential and are surprised to learn there are markings on the foot and ways to measure with the foot so that no marking on the fabric is required.







I had fun with the matchstick stitching of this piece, using a rainbow of Sulky rayon threads.
Have you ever tried matchstick quilting?

Peace,
Linda

Quilting is the answer, I don't care what the question is!

6 comments:

Sandi Mac said...

Isn't interesting how your eyes can lie to you? I have seen this piece live and in person and the background is stark WHITE. With the coloured quilting thread, it looks like the background is coordinated with the thread. If you look directly at the white background, ignoring the coloured thread, you can see that it is indeed white. Love this piece!!

Jennifer said...

I haven't tried matchstick quilting yet, it's on my list though......Love your little quilt, it's a fun piece of quilting.

Karen said...

Love how you changed the thread colour to echo the patchwork - very effective!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am definitely going to try this technique. I love this small quilt and the color the quilting thread adds to the piece. A great optical allusion since I don't like white much.
xx, Carol

Vee said...

Very cool and I like the edging you used to tie the colors all together. No, I have never tried this, but I would like to.

sunny said...

Love the look! I haven't tried matchstick quilting, but I will now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...