STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Late Summer Busy-ness

The busy-ness of late summer and garden harvesting is finally slowing down. We have been enjoying the fruits of my garden labours for a while now... I always say we must be our healthiest in August and September because we eat so many fresh home grown veggies!   :)
A garden is a lot of work but sooo worth it. I love just going out and picking as much as I want of whatever is ready... peas, beans, lettuce, carrots, whatever. Despite a fairly dry summer, the garden did well. We had a bumper crop of green peas, my absolute favourite!  :)  Of course the lettuce, peas and beans are now done, as are the cucumbers. All that remains in my garden now are beets and carrots and a slooowwww ripening crop of tomatoes. I will do my pickled beets this week and get the carrots dug.
I have been stewing tomatoes for the freezer as they ripen. I use them all winter in spaghetti sauce, chili, etc. and love never having to buy canned tomatoes. And of course we've been eating tomatoes and cukes daily.... toasted tomato sandwiches... broiled cheese and tomato sandwiches...
I have made peach jam (recipe here), Lady Ashburnham pickles (story here, recipe here), 11 day crock pickles, and have a big batch of spiced apple jelly underway today (recipe here.) Still to do: pickled beets, red pepper jelly and salsa. And freeze more tomatoes. Then I'll be done... The garden will soon be tilled and put to bed for winter. (whew!)
Our raspberries did not produce much of a crop this year, but after last year's mega harvest (50+ qts.) I still have lots in the freezer. Anyone have any good recipes using frozen raspberries, other than for pie?
So now you know a bit of what I've been up to "in my absence here." Up next are updates on Noah (growing fast!) my two new kittycats (settled in nicely!) and some finished quilting projects (about time, I hear you saying.) Also pics from some local quilt shows.. so y'all come back!
OH! One last thing! A movie recommendation.. if you haven't yet seen the movie The Light Between Oceans, DO see it! It's playing locally, just for another two days... GREAT movie. Beautiful cinematography, good story, well acted!

Peace,
Linda

"The first gatherings of the garden in May of salads, radishes and herbs made me feel like a mother about her baby - how could anything so beautiful be mine. And this emotion of wonder filled me for each vegetable as it was gathered every year. There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or as thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown." ~ Alice B. Toklas

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

What a wonderful garden this year. It has kept you busy but you are certainly being rewarded for your hard work. Thanks for sharing the recipes too.

Can't wait to see your finishes...I haven't been home enough this summer to do much sewing and when I have been home, well...I've been in such a creative rut. Here's hoping I recover soon - Cheers!

Vee said...

The mosaic of your garden produce is so fresh and pretty. I picked my last tomato this week and ate it for supper last night. I will miss the tomatoes most of all. Ahhhh...Lady Ashburnham...love that recipe. Will never make them again, but my memories are fond.

Jennifer said...

Wow, you have been busy! All that fresh home-grown food sounds really good......except for the tomatoes, I won't fight you for them because I don't eat tomatoes. Sounds like an interesting movie, I shall keep an eye out for it here.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Good morning! Wow, you had a great harvest this year. We only planted tomatoes and I can tell you we had plenty and I am sorry to see they are at the end with just a few more on the plants. Next week the Magnificent 7 remake is opening and that is one I will be able to get Terry to see. He is notorious for falling asleep during movies at the theatre. We have been occupied with clearing the fallen tree in our back yard. It's slow work and a Huge Job!
xx, Carol

Pamela Gordon said...

OH you had a beautiful bounty in your garden this year Linda! I've got onions. haha. I need to pull them soon but I was waiting for Monday's rain to beef them up a bit. I am reading the book The Light Between Oceans now so can't see the movie yet!! Guess it might come to Netflix some year. I also read All the Light We Cannot See this summer and enjoyed it immensely. Have you read it?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'd like to see that movie but have the book now so I probably should read it first. I just read Brooklyn and it was SO good. I've seen the movie too and loved it. I'm glad you're garden did so well. Sweet hugs, Diane

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Lots of bounty from your gardens. I read the book and would like to see the movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...