STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Do you salsa?


Do you salsa? I'm talking about the condiment, not the dance...
Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes... I feel like I have tomatoes coming out my ears! It's been a bumper crop this year, I'm not complaining but I am getting a little tired of dealing with TOMATOES!!! We've been eating them, freezing them, making salsa, and giving them away. And I still have lots! There are still many on the vine, and we are now covering them each night as it is getting pretty cool and there have been a few frost warnings, although we've been lucky so far... So if any of my local readers would like some tomatoes, get in touch. I'd be happy to share some with you. Come and get it!

Just in case you too have lots of tomatoes to "deal with" here is my salsa recipe in case you'd like to try it. Quick and easy, healthy and yummy too!





Salsa

7 cups fresh stewed tomatoes, (or 2 - 28oz. cans tomatoes)
1 14oz. can tomato sauce
1 red pepper and 2 green peppers, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
2/3 cup white vinegar
3 Tblsp. white sugar
2 tsp. coarse salt
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste - depending on how hot you like your salsa
**Of course you can adjust the amount of seasonings to your own taste. I often add more garlic and oregano.
Combine all ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened.  Bottle in hot sterilized mason jars, cap and let cool completely, then freeze. Be sure to leave enough space at the top to allow for expansion when it freezes. Makes about 5.5 pints

Peace
Linda

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." ~ Lewis Grizzard

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Um......thanks, but no thanks......have you ever tried making tomato paste?

kath001 said...

I don't think many people had much of a tomato crop here this year. Not one tomato pie got made at our house. :(

GailM. said...

Wonderful. I'd love some. Thanks so much.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

If I canned, I would make salsa. We buy a few varieties because everyone has a different taste. I LOVE the Chipolte Peach Pineapple that Walmart sells under their own brand. I put it on most EVERYTHING...burgers, hot dogs, tortilla chips, and quesadilla. Better than catsup.
xx, Carol

Unknown said...

I'd love some if you have any left.
Margie

Vee said...

I love tomatoes; love salsa, too! Wish I were closer...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...