STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Small Finish

It's a good day to show you a small finish as it's been a while... This is a small piece measuring 10.5" x 11" (I think I'll call it a candle mat) that served a twofold purpose. It was my first experiment with hexagons. These are referred to as "modern hexies" because rather than being hand sewn to each other as is done with English Paper Piecing, they are applied to a background fabric with spaces left between them. They are glued in place with a good quality fabric glue that remains flexible when dry. Then machine quilting passes through them to secure them in place. I chose to quilt a grid through the hexies, passing through each point. This is the second purpose, to serve as another sample piece for my "Quilting with the Walking Foot" class.
Much as I admire EPP, it's not for me, but I do enjoy the "modern hexies." I have another slightly larger piece ready to go, hexies all made and positioned, ready to be glued and stitched, and also fabrics chosen for a much larger piece, made with larger hexagons. It'll be a while before I get to it, but the hexies are something I can chip away at. They are formed over stiff paper hexagons and the folds are held in place with a few hand stitches. Then they are pressed well and papers removed. An easily portable project and great for handwork in front of the tv.
What sort of handwork do you enjoy?

Peace,
Linda

In my perfect world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin...

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh - I like that! Have to say I'm not a fan of English paper piecing, it seems like a lot of effort for not much result......give me regular hand-piecing any day.

Karen said...

Just sweet!

sunny said...

How cute! I love EPP and making hexies. I might try a project similar to yours, right down to the wonderful quilting.

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a sweet piece.

Anonymous said...

Really pretty and nice small piece. Looks so clean and neat. Love it.

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Very nice!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How pretty. I've been crocheting a little this week. Relaxing and fun! Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...