STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, July 11, 2016

On My Bookshelf

Hello again! It's high time I got back here... as one blogger friend put it, I've been "summer busy"... Lots to tell you about so stay tuned the next few days for some catch up. Today, another book review as I am so far behind with those...
Two Rivers by T. Greenwood is well-crafted. I like a story that "builds".. you know "something big is coming" but you can't figure out what... and then at the end, there's a twist.... This is such a book.
Here's what the book jacket has to say: "In Two Rivers, Vermont, Harper Montgomery is living a life overshadowed by grief and guilt. Since the death of his wife Betsy, twelve years earlier, Harper has narrowed his world to working at the local railroad and raising his daughter Shelly, the best way he knows how. Still wracked with sorrow over the loss of his life-long love and plagued by his role in a brutal, long-ago crime, he wants only to make amends for his past mistakes.
Then one fall day, a train derails in Two Rivers. and amid the wreckage Harper finds an unexpected chance at atonement. One of the survivors, a pregnant fifteen-year-old girl with mismatched eyes and skin the color of blackberries, needs a place to stay. Though filled with misgivings, Harper offers to take Maggie in. But it isn't long before he begins to suspect that Maggie's appearance in Two Rivers is not the simple case of happenstance it first appeared to be."
This is one of those "hard to put down" books... the characters, especially Harper, are well developed and I found it easy to identify with his struggles. The strong plot keeps the reader turning the pages, and the ending is a surprise. A story of love and loss, redemption and forgiveness. What more could a reader want?

Peace,
Linda

"I have lived a thousand lives and I've loved a thousand loves. I've walked on distant worlds and seen the end of time. Because I read." ~ George R.R. Martin

6 comments:

Dasha said...

Sounds interesting. Wonder if I can find it here....
Love your book reviews. They open up new authors to me. Enjoy your lovely summer days.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Reading really does open up the world to you! I'll put this one on my reading list! Hugs, Diane

HollyM said...

It sounds good! I'll try to note it.

Vee said...

That's how my grandmother's favorite book began...a train wreck, a taking one in, a life-changing experience as a result, but then I doubt that St. Elmo's Fire is like this book otherwise. LOL!

Jennifer said...

The library doesn't have this book, but they do have another by this author, "Body of water'......I have just reserved it.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Sounds like a great read Linda, I'll add it to my list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...