STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, June 6, 2016

Finally, some finishes!


Now that the baby shower is past, I can show you what I'd been working on lately. You saw the baby quilt in the previous post, but here's another view. Not a great photo, just a "record shot" in dappled sunshine on the grass. It was a quick and easy scrappy quilt, made with fabrics already on hand. Nothing fancy, just a good sized "utility quilt" for her to use. I will be doing another quilt, more carefully planned. You'll see that later...



I first saw this quilt here on my friend Holly's blog. (Thanks for the inspiration Holly!!) Really liked it and sort of "filed it away" in the back of my mind... a few weeks later I found it in a magazine and really filed it for future use. (It's called "Paper Pinwheels" and found in Fons and Porter's Quilting Quickly, September/October 2015 issue.) When I found out the baby's room walls were soft grey and Laura was decorating with shades of blue, teal and turquoise, I knew this would fit right in! I needed something I could get finished quickly and this fit the bill with simple 6" blocks and no borders. It measures 36" x 48."








Here it is over the side of the crib, awaiting his arrival! Looks good, don'cha think?















Also on the list of items to be made before I went to Ontario were some receiving blankets (sorry, no photos, but I did four good sized ones) and some reversible burp pads. I had never made burp pads before, but again they were fun to do, not to mention quick and easy.









I had collected some fun fabrics, all cottons, for one side, the reverse sides were flannel.









A friend gave me two patterns, one slightly larger than the other, and I made four of each. I clipped the concave curves and notched the convex curves which helped to get good smooth curves that laid flat. (Dressmaking/tailoring skills are still with me!!) A good pressing and some top-stitching finished them off nicely.
Stay tuned, I'm quite sure there'll be more "baby projects"....

Piece!
Linda

"A package of joy, a bundle of bliss,
This quilt for baby was sealed with a kiss."

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's a great baby quilt design! I like the idea of the burp pads too, it's very practical......although they wouldn't have been much use with my first child. Now there was a chucker!

HollyM said...

So funny when I saw this quilt. I had to scroll down as I thought it was mine at first.,isn't it a fun one to do? I've got the fabrics tucked away for a shades of pink and orange one.
We're expecting our first grand child. I may have to do some of those burp pads.

Kathy E. said...

What a lovely set of gifts for a lucky mama and baby! Your quilt does match perfectly with the nursery! Great design...will have to look that one up...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your grandson who will soon be arriving. So exciting! What a lucky baby to have a grandmother who has made him so many lovely gifts. Love them all.

Karen said...

The quilt is darling. Your photograph belongs in a magazine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...