STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, May 21, 2016

I'm Back...

Yes, I AM still here... no doubt you've been wondering...  I haven't been in blogdom much lately, life has been keeping me incredibly busy. But I'm finally starting to see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel.." Guild is finished for the year, except for one last Executive meeting. I finished a large (very time consuming) project for our last meeting, sadly I cannot show it to you for a while. But you WILL see it eventually. I'm done teaching classes now until fall. That's a huge check on the Done List! Choir is finished, concert is over, music passed in. Another big check. Cancer canvassing is done, money passed in. Check. (Can you tell I love crossing things off a list?!)
The big thing looming now is getting all the outdoor work caught up...  there is always so much to do in the spring. Several of my perennial beds really need some serious attention. Some perennials need to be dug and split, a job which often requires some of hubby's muscle. I did manage to get him to cut some chunks off a few well established hostas for a neighbour/new gardening friend. So that's one job on his "Honey-Do" list completed. It takes a sharp shovel and his weight to drive the shovel through the mature plants, I cannot do it... I have lots more to do this coming week, bulbs to start, seeds to plant, top-dressing to do with compost, some plants to re-locate, not to mention weeding... why oh why do the weeds always grow so much faster than the plants??? Then there's the vegetable garden to get tilled and planted... The list goes on and on... A gardener's work is never done... but I love it. It's such a wonderful and rewarding hobby... Here's what's been blooming lately...


From left to right, beginning with top row:  Chionodoxa, double daffodils, scilla (squill), tulip, purple violets, Solomon's seal, muscari (grape hyacinth), tulip, pulmonaria (lungwort).

I have lots of jobs to cross off the list this coming week, but I promise there will be a few (likely brief) blog posts. Stay tuned...

Peace,
Linda

"The world's favorite season is the spring. All things seem possible in May."
~ Edwin Way Teale

10 comments:

HollyM said...

You have been busy! I'm into the gardening right now too and have my ' Honey do' list ready for when he gets back from Labrador.
I have two of your flowers up, some tulips and some lungwort.
Yesterday, I put a few early crop seeds in the raised bed. I'm limited but I go out in little bits of time. I agree it is so rewarding. I've just gotten smell back after sinus surgery and I'm really taking in all the earth smells.

GailM. said...

Welcome back. Enjoy your garden. I'm going to plant my veggie garden this week too. Can't wait.

Karen said...

I've been finding it hard to get time to blog also (or sew!!) This weekend has been beautiful for tackling some of the garden chores. The big one was to clean out the purple violets from the rhubarb patch - what a chore! I knew they were encroaching last year, but I turned my head. Youngest son was conscripted to work the shovel, which made a huge difference. Let's cross our fingers the sunshine holds for the week so we can catch up!

Jennifer said...

I love your spring flowers - especially violets!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thank you for naming the plants in your pictures! My daughter has a ton of plants she is tearing out to make room for a patio. I have been thinking I should take some of the plant you identified as Solomon's Seal. Now that I know what it is, I'm saving it. My yard is calling for may attention too. I started an on line quilt class for beginners. Something just for me for a change. I have never had a class and I am so happy to have been invited.
have a great weekend.
xx, Carol

Ali Honey said...

Your Spring flower photos are excellent...bright...clear and I expect some smell great as well.Happy gardening.

Karen said...

PS Poking my head in here again to tell you I am making your Caesar Salad dressing for dinner, for the MILLIONTH time. Chicken on the grill, so a Caesar is perfect. We love it!! :)

Linda H said...

We love it too Karen,it's a family favourite for sure. And if I do say so myself, far better than any Caesar I've had in any restaurant.. even those made right at your table...

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Linda! I'm glad to see your posts today and that you are done your quilting and choir for the season and ready to start the new season of gardening. It's never ending I guess. You are one busy gal!! Your collage is beautiful. It sure has been a lovely holiday weekend. Enjoy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How beautiful! I love that you identified them for us too! We were surprised at how many wildflowers were still blooming when we hiked this weekend. It's HOT here already! Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...