STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, August 24, 2015

Visiting Grand Manan

Near the ferry terminal, Blacks Harbour, NB



There are over 25 islands in the Bay of Fundy, known as the Fundy Isles, along the southwestern coast of New Brunswick, but only three that are inhabited year round: Grand Manan, Deer Island and Campobello Island. The others are quite small, and some have seasonal inhabitants.





Grand Manan is the largest of the Fundy Isles and I was fortunate to visit it last month. It had been a while since I boarded the ferry in Blacks Harbour to make the 90 minute crossing to Grand Manan. The island is 21 miles long and 11 miles across at its widest point. The majority of the population live on the eastern side of the island, as the western coast is undeveloped due to high cliffs and winds, and very limited access. The total island population is under 3,000.
As the ferry approaches the dock at North Head, one is greeted by Swallow Tail Light, the iconic lighthouse which welcomes all visitors, sitting high above the harbour.



As soon as you disembark and begin to explore the island, you immediately feel your stress melting away. The smell of the salt air and the call of the gulls as they soar overhead quickly put a smile on my face. I love the ocean, and I don't get to it often enough. ( I am trying to remedy that, promising myself several more visits to spots along our coast this summer/fall.) The "islanders" enjoy a more relaxed pace of life. Fishing, aquaculture and tourism are the main industries here. Visitors to Grand Manan come to whale-watch, birdwatch, hike, kayak, paint, photograph, and just simply explore the rugged coastal beauty. I will follow this with several more in-depth posts, but today I just want to share a few of my favourite photos with you. And if you live nearby and want to enjoy a few days of peace and tranquility before you head back into the busy fall routine, why not plan a visit to Grand Manan? I promise you won't regret it.

Sunset at Dark Harbour

I am linking to Mosaic Monday with Judith at Lavender Cottage, and Through My Lens with Mersad at Mersad Donko Photography.

Peace,
Linda

"There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune:
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows, and in miseries."

~ William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar


17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful collection of images. I would love to go whale watching! I love the last sunset shot. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

KaHolly said...

Oh, I haven't been to Grand Manan in years......too many to count. Back then the only way to get there was on the mail boat. Have lots of fun!

Jennifer said...

If if wasn't so far to go, I would love to visit! It looks to be a beautiful place.

Vee said...

Ahhhh...so pretty! Will be sure to bring John by as he vacationed there for several summers. I have only had the pleasure once.

HollyM said...

I would so live to visit it. My niece, husband and children live there. He is a fisherman. What a beautiful place.

Pamela Gordon said...

That sunset photo is stunning Linda! I've only been there once in 1972 in the fog so I didn't see much. I have friends there and from there and they are salt of the earth people. I guess we'll have to put it on our bucket list. Looking forward to your photos of your visit. I can't believe this is the last week of August can you? Eeeek.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a beautiful area of your country, Linda! I would find visiting those islands in the Bay of Fundy so enchanting.

Mersad said...

The sunset photo really had me. Wonderful. Thanks for linking in with "Through My Lens".

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

So glad you are able to see sights before the summer ends. You have gone to some fabulous places. Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts on places I will never see myself.
xx, Carol

Debby Ray said...

Glorious photos and mosaics! Thanks for sharing this beautiful place with us! Happy Tuesday :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I have just found your blog, and really enjoyed your photos, I am from sussex in the UK. look forward to reading more..xx

A Colorful World said...

Such lovely photos of a wonderful place! I could just feel the peacefulness through your words and images! Have a great week!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Nice to have a place like this to unwind. Seeing the island and reading of the others made me think of the two islands in our inland fresh water lake. No inhabitants, but a good place to explore if you have a boat and neither is very large.
The sunset you photographed is breath taking Linda.
Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Anonymous said...

Nice views. Your sunset picture is gorgeous!!!
Visiting from Mersad Donko Photography "Through My Lens".
http://stapjesonderweg.blogspot.be/2015/08/quejigales.html
Greetings from Hilde

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Such beautiful photos, dear Linda! The place looks and sounds really charming.
Is that a small island in the first photo? So pretty, it's almost the island of my dreams.
Sorry that I'm so late in visiting you. Have a lovely Sunday and see you soon!

Linda said...

Your photos are lovely! Warm greetings from another part of Canada...Montreal! :)

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Gorgeous photos Linda! Looks like a beautiful place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...