STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, July 21, 2014

Tiny Treasures - Miniature Quilts class

On Saturday October 18th I'll be teaching a class on Miniature Quilts at the 2014 Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival in Amherst, N.S. The class runs from 9a.m. to 4p.m. with a short lunch break, and we are fortunate to have a wonderful bright spacious venue at the Adult Bridge Services building located on Station Street in downtown Amherst, just steps from central Victoria Street.

This class is a "combo deal" - it's a skills/techniques class as much as it is a project class. Students will pick up many tips and techniques to improve the accuracy of their work. When working in miniature, piecing accuracy is very important, but who wouldn't like to improve their piecing skills and precision for quilting projects of all sizes? There will be many demos and extensive notes given, as well as time to sew, beginning a Miniature of your own. This class is geared to the Intermediate level quilter and beyond, it is not a class for Beginners. I am assuming you already have knowledge of and experience with the basic quiltmaking process. ie. I will not be teaching how to add borders, do binding, etc.
Students will choose their own pattern or design, with guidance. Like beginning quilters who are encouraged to start with blocks that have few seams, I will be suggesting you consider fairly simple blocks for your first miniature, such as Nine Patch or Four Patch, Shoofly, Anvil, Churn Dash, etc. Students will also choose the size of block they wish to make; I am not going to put pressure on anyone by telling them they must make 1" blocks! If you wish to work very very small, and already know how to paper-piece, that is an option as well. (Please don't feel intimidated by my tiniest works- most are foundation pieced.) Everyone will receive a sheet of paper-piecing patterns for a number of very small designs, extra sheets will be available.  Like any new skill, working in miniature improves with practice; one cannot expect to jump right in and work in the smallest size. Everyone's skill level is different and you know better than I how accurate and consistent your own work is. I will encourage you to take that into consideration when choosing the design and size of your blocks.

Topics covered in class include: choice of the best tools and equipment for working in miniature, choice of fabrics, threads and needles, tips and techniques for improving accuracy in cutting and stitching, the use of Thangles for making very small Half Square Triangles, how to make very narrow flat pipings, how to stitch a 1/8" wide border, and more.

Above all, I want the day to be an enjoyable one - lots of FUN and stress-free. There will be many demos given, I bring all my Miniature quilts as well as a number of books and magazines on Miniature quilts (no shortage of inspiration) and there will be door prizes too- all miniature related, of course!


My Miniature quilts can be viewed under "Galleries" on my blog sidebar. Watch for new additions. The size of each quilt is given.

Lastly I feel it only fair to warn you: working in miniature can be addictive. I cannot be held responsible if you begin hoarding all fabric scraps larger than 1/4", or going through others' garbage to retrieve their fabric scraps. (Both behaviours are commonly seen in those bitten by the Miniatures bug. There is no known treatment or cure...I suffer from this affliction myself.)

Registration for the class is done through me, not the Fibre Arts Festival. (Each teacher handles their own registrations.) If you have any questions or would like to register for the class, you can contact me at hubbard2(at)nbnet(dot)nb(dot)ca or leave a comment on this post. Fee for the class is $60.00; your spot is secured upon receipt of payment and I will then forward  to you the supply list for the class.

EDIT, Sept.21 - The class is now 3/4 full. If you are thinking of registering, don't wait too long, you may be disappointed.

Piece!
Linda

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." ~ Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...