STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rhubarb Crisp...Yummmmm...




One of my favourite spring and early summer desserts has to be Rhubarb Crisp. Quick and easy, and good for you too! Most people top it with vanilla ice cream, but my favourite topping by far is Raspberry Sherbet! Try it - it's heavenly. I'm lucky to have my own rhubarb patch, it's well established (okay, it's older than I am!) and never fails to provide us all we can eat and then some.  

Rhubarb Crisp

3 to 4 cups chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup white sugar
1 Tblsp. cornstarch

Topping:
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup softened butter, or maybe a bit more...

Mix together the white sugar and cornstarch. After washing and chopping the rhubarb, toss it with the sugar/cornstarch mixture. Spread in an 8x8 pan.

Mix together the dry ingds. for topping, then mix in softened butter with a fork. Mixture will be somewhat crumbly. Spread over rhubarb, and bake at 350°F for about 35-40 minutes or until rhubarb is softened and bubbly and topping is browned. Let cool a bit before serving, topped with raspberry sherbet (or vanilla icecream if you insist...)

Peace,
Linda

"Stressed" spelled backwards is "desserts". Coincidence? I think not...

7 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

That looks really good with the raspberry sherbet on top. I must buy some sherbet this summer. It's so refreshing isn't it? Our rhubarb patch is looking a little weary but maybe it just needs some rain right now. I should cut another batch before it's all done. Have a great weekend!

Vee said...

Stressed? I'm a frayed knot! LOL!

That looks great! I have only used vanilla ice cream. So bland...

Janet said...

Yum is right!!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I always enjoy a crisp and there's rhubarb to be picked...
The raspberry sherbet looks so much more appealing than vanilla ice cream, I like the colour.

Lorraine said...

Yumee!!!

Connie Fullarton said...

Thanks for posting Linda! Tried your rhubarb crisp tonight and will be making it again! Very good!

Kathleen's Blog said...

Yummy--that looks awesome! Rhubarb is still nice and sweet here, so I think I may have to try this recipe:)

I love your referral to the fact that "Stressed" is "Desserts" spelled backwards---I may have to paint a little canvas of that for my kitchen!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...