STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, April 4, 2014

Of Quilts and Books

I've been very busily sewing away the last few days. I've put in alot of hours and it's finally coming together. The 82 sashing units and the 48 nine patches took more time than I expected, but they're all done now and I just have to get it all sewn together. Of course there's lots of intersections to match, but so far, so good - it's going well. Just not a speedy process. Of course, I'm particular too, (okay, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist...) so I'm slower than some would be, but for me it's worth it to do a good job and have a project I'm proud of. Slow and steady wins the race!  Oliver is being such a helper too.. you can just imagine.. I have it laid out on the livingroom floor, and he just loves trying to rearrange my layout. Guess he thinks if it's on the floor, it must be there solely for his entertainment.... not!
I haven't done a book review in a while, and I'm getting a few books behind, so here's a brief  look at a recent "finish" - Little Bee by Chris Cleave. This was loaned to me by a friend. (Thanks JK!!) It's likely one I would not have picked up on my own.
Little Bee is a young Nigerian refugee and her story will leave you thinking for a long while. After only a few pages, you feel drawn in as things slowly unfold. There are twists and turns as you try to discern just what happened on that beach in Nigeria. Her story is not a pleasant nor an easy one, yet you are compelled to keep reading. This is not "light reading", some of the situations described are heart-breaking as Little Bee faces injustice and the struggles of poverty, racism and civil war. This book will take you beyond your comfort zone as you read about events you'd like to think never happen...but they do. It is very well written and the characters are very believable. It is emotional, yes, but it's also a story of courage and strength of character, survival and friendship.

Peace,
Linda

Maybe it's not about the happy ending... maybe it's about the story.

2 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

With all the snow you still have, quilting would be a good way to pass the time.
Your review of the book is interesting, stories that take place in other countries can be real eye openers. I must say the cover is appealing, clever graphics.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You did a good review on this book. I read it and feel the same way you do...not an easy read but you can't stop reading it either. I always think how thankful I am to be me and the quote..."there but for the grace of God go I". Sweet hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...