STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Helloooo, I'm back!




If' you're a regular here, you've likely been wondering where the heck I've been. Well, I've been to London to visit the Queen Florida to enjoy some warm weather!! AND to attend the World Quilt Show with my friend Sandi Mac. I'm not sure which was better, I think I'll declare it a tie! Sandi winters in South Florida (lucky lucky girl!) and she has been after me for a few years now to come down while the World Quilt Show is on. I gave in this year when she found me a fantastic deal on flights right out of Fredericton. Now I'm wondering why I waited so long! lol I was gone Wednesday to Wednesday (just got home last night) - I meant to tell you a bit about it before I went, but ran out of time. And although I had thought I might possibly blog a bit while there, it didn't happen! We were waaay too busy having fun - 3 full days at the Show in West Palm Beach, which was about a 40 minute drive each way, shopping, a bit of sight-seeing, etc. etc. The weather was great (well except for the very heavy rain the first two nights -the area just south of West
Hibiscus in Sandi's front yard
Palm Beach got 22 inches - yes you read that right - TWENTY TWO inches of rain in a 24 hour period!!! Severe flooding, several people trapped and drowned, the Interstate closed, etc. etc.) It cleared on Friday and thereafter the weather was wonderful- sunny and warm- not hot, just comfortable- 70's and low 80's F. We even spent one afternoon walking the beach, picking up shells and enjoying the sun, sand and surf - well okay,  the surf only to our knees, but it sure felt good!

The World Quilt Show was awesome- besides the World Show and the Hoffman Challenge, there were 16 other concurrent shows! Plus a huge Vendor Mall - you know we spent some quality time there!! I have a lot of photo editing to do - I took literally hundreds of photos (despite the poor lighting) so it will be at least tomorrow before I can start showing you Show photos, but I promise I'll do my best to blog daily for the next while to "make up" for my absence! Until I have those photos ready, I'll share a few favs I took of the wonderful Florida vegetation - I was surprised that there was so much in bloom in January. For all of you who are tiring of  winter already, maybe these pics will warm you up a bit...


Plumbago hedge in Sandi's front yard
Sandi showing their first banana "crop"

Beautiful bougainvillea  
Peace,
Linda

"I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question." ~ Harun Yahya

4 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Very nice that you finally made it to a show of interest to you. I'm sure you'll be sharing some photos of quilts which I look forward to seeing. I enjoyed the Florida blooms at your friend's home, and now it's back to more snow!

Pamela Gordon said...

Welcome back Linda! I'd forgotten where you were going and was missing your posts. I was about to phone you even. LOL Glad you had a fantastic trip and can't wait to hear and see more about the quilt show etc. The flower photos are beautiful and so colourful. Have a good weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you had a good trip. I was wondering how those heavy rains were affecting your trip! Sounds like you had despite the weather. Glad you got to walk on the beach and soak up some sun. What a cute photo of your friend. Hope you're going to post more pics. Sweet hugs, Diane

Gwen Buchanan said...

Lucky, Lucky You!!! way down south and at a fabulous quilt show to boot.. what a great time!!!

You must have enjoyed that after the crazy cold spell we had just before you left.
...but 22" of rain!! that is wild. There sure have been some extreme weather systems these last few years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...