STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oranges in the garden

It's high time I got back to blogging. Life has kept me busy lately, and my blogging has had to wait. Well, I'm back. Although I have one or two more posts I'd like to do to finish off our Prague adventure, it's not going to happen today.
It seems like forever since I've been in my garden taking some photos so I did just that today. Right now there seems to be a good amount of color- orange being one... You know that orange is NOT my favourite color, but I do tolerate it in the garden! So  here is what you might see if you visited my garden today: lilies, nasturtiums, California poppies,   Red hot poker (Tritoma), coneflower (Echinacea) and butterfly weed (Asclepias).


Although it's not a fav color, orange does add some bright spots to the garden. Earlier in the summer, my brilliant orange poppies really add a pop, but they are long gone now. My last lilies are just finishing as are the Tritoma and the Asclepias. The biggest bloomer right now is the Echinacea - a combo of pink and orange- two colors I would never put together in a quilt, but Mother Nature does it so well in the Echinacea and in the Stargazer lily... She is indeed a master artist!!








Do you look to nature for color combinations for your quilts? I think many of us do, as it seems many quilters are also gardeners. And what better inspiration than nature?! Although we may struggle to put colors together in our studios, Mother Nature seems to do it effortlessly, and it always works! Pink and orange... nope, I couldn't do it. But she does it well...





The Stargazer Lily is one of my favs - I love its deep  rosy petals, but if I was holding the master paintbrush I would never have dipped into the orange to paint the anthers... Maybe I need to take an art course...?


So .. do you have lots of orange in your garden? What about pinks and oranges together?











 Look at this beautiful snapdragon below- the perfect combo of these two colors - pink and orange, all in one! Gorgeous!





 "Orange, a close relative of red, sparks more controversy than any other hue. There is usually strong positive or negative association to orange and true orange generally elicits a stronger “love it” or “hate it” response than other colors. Fun and flamboyant orange radiates warmth and energy. Interestingly, some tones of orange, such as terra cotta, peach, and rust have very broad appeal." ~ from www.sensationalcolor.com


 Since he is sort of orange-y too, I had to include this little fuzzy wuzzy guy...  Isn't he cute? I found him today on the Tritoma leaves.


Peace,
Linda

Is a caterpillar ticklish?
Well, it's always my belief
That he giggles, as he wiggles
Across a hairy leaf.
~ Monica Shannon


4 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Linda! I've missed your recent posts and your absence too and wondered what you've been up to. The only orange in my garden is the tiger lilies and bits of orange in the lantana and of course, the centres of the coneflower. But, I'm not opposed to orange. I just don't have any. I think natures colours are perfect so why not toss them all in together. Like pink and red. Haha. Stay cool the next 2 days. It's going to be HOT. Summer's last blast.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What beautiful bright colors. I just walked outside and saw that our red hibiscus is blooming. I'll try to take a photo of the one bloom! heehee! Hugs!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Gorgeous photos! Love all the different colours and the verse at the end.

Kathy said...

Beautiful photos Linda, "gorgeous is nature"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...