STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, October 11, 2012

The "Red Reveal"

Here it is. This is the block I've been working on. If you are a follower of Bonnie Hunter and Quiltville, you had probably already figured out that it is her "Talkin' Turkey" block. It was featured in the Summer 2012 issue of 100 Blocks (Volume 5), by Quiltmaker. As I've said before (apologies to JeanneKaye and Shelley D and anyone else who's passionate about red) I am not a red lover. Or should I say was not ... I'm really enjoying working with the reds ..perhaps I'll be a "convert". Or maybe this will "get it out of my system". Who knows? It doesn't really matter, I'm enjoying the process and that's what matters!

This is the completed block, it will finish at 12". As you can see it has changed it's looks now that the last "component" is added. The flying geese units, with light squares and rectangles to complete the sections, lightens it up and gives it the turkey tracks "look".
The blocks will be set together with sashing. At this point I am planning on a lap size (12 blocks), but who knows? It may grow.... Stay tuned...

Peace,
Linda

Did you know...

Red is the highest arc of the rainbow.

Red is the first color you lose sight of at twilight.

Bees can't see the color red, but they can see all other bright colors. Red flowers are usually pollinated by birds, butterflies, bats, and wind, rather than bees.

7 comments:

Darlene D said...

Beautiful block in my favourite colour! Your "red" facts are interesting!

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh it's going to be gorgeous Linda! I didn't know those things about the colour red. Interesting.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love that quilt, it is on my list of to do's. I will be starting it soon.

canuckquilter said...

I thought those strings might have something to do with a Bonnie quilt! The blocks look really rich in red and will make a gorgeous quilt.

Wendy said...

Beautiful! But you had me at the first mention of red! Amazing the difference those last few pieces made...I was thinking it might be too dark and really not enough contrast at the last post, but I should have known better...I always love your work!
p.s. bet it would be stunning in blues and creams...

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your blocks look super!

GailM. said...

I love the block. I can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...