STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, September 21, 2012

Quilt Show Beauties!

A friend and I journeyed down to Sussex today for the Sussex Vale Quilters' Guild Show "Sweet Threads of Life". Let me assure you, it was worth the drive. They do a show every two years and they never disappoint. They have many talented members and their shows are always worth attending.... today was no exception. I hope they get good "traffic"- if you are in NB and have no plans for tomorrow, take the drive to Sussex. Show hours tomorrow, Saturday, are 10a.m. to 4p.m.
There was a great number of bed sized quilts and a smaller number of wallhangings, miniatures and original works. Five wonderful vendors (gotta love those vendors), tables of small items for sale, a "tearoom" area and workshop and challenge pieces to view made for a busy few hours. We tried not to miss anything!! Of course, you always run into quilters you know and haven't seen for a while, so it's catch-up/chat time too...

I am more of a traditional quilter than anything. Although I appreciate the skill and talents displayed in "modern" quilts or "art" quilts, it's still the traditional pieced and appliquéd ones I love most. I think this Guild is like-minded. There were SO many beautiful large quilts- it was wonderful to see. The new venue this year is SO much better- spacious and well-lit, not at all crowded like the previous spot. (Stick with this facility if you can, girls! I meant to write that comment in your Guest Book and forgot!!)

OK, enough blathering.. on with the Show. Here are some of the many beautiful quilts at "Sweet Threads of Life". Enjoy!!
The first two you see here are two that I felt were very impressive. This Dear Jane quilt at the left titled Dear Dorothy Jane was made by Gail Fearon. One could not help but be amazed at this quilt - every block different, some pieced and some appliquéd - just an incredible amount of work! Well done Gail!!



The one beside it was also Gail Fearon's. It was called Posy Chain and I liked it equally well. The quilting on it was just gorgeous.. of course Gail IS an exceptional hand-quilter. The tiny even stitches.. oh my!! Be still my heart! I just loved the simplicity of the "chain" and the wonderful perfectly executed quilting designs in the alternating plain blocks. (WHY didn't I take a close-up shot of this one???) You'll just have to trust me, it was exceptional.

Another one which really caught my eye was Carol's Quilt by Carol Davis (on the left in photo). Although I am not a big user of Moda fabrics, I do like this line (Kansas Troubles, I think?) and again loved the simplicity and repetition of this design. There is something about the browns, golds, reds and blues that I find calming...








Here is another of Gail F.'s quilts - (can you tell I'm a fan??  wink) This one is called String of Pearls, and I DID get a closeup shot of her quilting this time (below). Just LOOK at those wonderful feathers in the border... Wow! And of course the feathered wreaths in the plain blocks were awesome too. Just loved the quilting on this one...










Well, it's getting late and I am so tired my eyes are crossing.. I'm having a little trouble adding photos tonight so I think I'll stop now, and continue with more from  this awesome Show tomorrow. Y'all come back...

Piece,
Linda

"The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes."
~ Frank Lloyd Wright

3 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Thanks for the eye candy.......loving that Posey chain one!!!!

GailM. said...

OMG, I love all Gail's quilts. I might just head to Sussex today. Not much on the calendar.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow... What a show!! These are magnificent! the color shows off so well combined with the white.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...