STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, September 22, 2012

More Beauties from Sussex...





I think I should share a few more of the beautiful quilts from the Sussex Show with you.. are you up for it? This wallhanging caught my eye - I'm always drawn to anything oriental. It is called Asian Blocks Plus by V. Leigh Smith. She called the technique "rough edge appliqué"; I love the extension of appliqué pieces into the sashings and border. It was also very nicely quilted.













Another stunning wallhanging nearby titled Magic Cubes was also by V. Leigh Smith. Her comment on the card was so true - "the black background and the bright colors give the quilt a WOW factor." She's right- it definitely has WOW factor!! Wouldn't it look great in a totally neutral room or a room with black furniture?













Back to some large quilts. Baltimore Bouquet by confessed quiltaholic Gail Fearon was stunning. Not only does Gail do wonderful hand quilting, she also does amazing hand appliqué. This is only one of her many appliqué quilts in the show, but this one was my  favourite. The appliqué work is sooo perfect- right down to the tiny little perfect circles for berries, grapes, etc. Ahh Gail, you amaze me. I know appliqué will never be my thing... so I  guess I'll just leave it to you. That way we'll both be happy!!  :)  





 






Memories by Gail Fearon was another fav of mine. Made to commemorate her husband's 38 years in the RCMP, she did it in secret and surprised him when he retired; she says it was the only time he's ever been speechless! What a very special gift and way to honour a husband's career.












 Canadian Christmas, eh! also by Gail Fearon (Gail, you Quiltin' Queen - you rocked this show!!!) was just too darn cute not to show. Adapted from the book A Porcupine in a Pine Tree (written by Helaine Becker and illustrated by Werner Zimmerman), Gail sketched and drew, and drew and sketched, until she was happy with the figures. Then of course comes the job of putting it all together and making things fit...  Awesome job Gail!!!





Susan Snyder is another long time SVQG member who does exceptional appliqué work- look at this darling little wallhanging called Appliqué Flowers. Just sweet!








This scrap quilt was one of the first quilts you saw when you entered the room. Done by the Guild, it is called Blowing in the Wind and it's for sale! What a gorgeous scrap quilt!  Love the design and of course the appliquéd leafy border.. now I wonder who worked on that!??

All in all, a great show. I hope you've enjoyed seeing what I think were some of the highlights...

Piece,
Linda

The work of the hands brings forth the spirit of the heart...

1 comment:

GailM. said...

I did get to the show afterall. You were right, it was a lovely show. I'm so glad I went. I loved all the quilts, but the guild quilt really caught my eye!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...