STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, February 5, 2012

TAST Week 5 - Herringbone

I'm late posting my week's stitching as I have been away for 4 days (more about that tomorrow). But here it is - better late than not at all! Again, I am familiar with this week's challenge stitch - the Herringbone. I have previously done several samplers and I must admit, I struggled a little, trying to come up with something new to do this time around... First, here are my three samplers which I had completed before. The first shows just basic Herringbone, varying the spacing, the size of the stitch, tieing the stitch, stacking the stitch and breaking it.











The second sampler shows a number of Stitch Combinations with a Herringbone "base". 1st row - layered with straight stitch and french knots added. 2nd row - tied with detached chain stitch added. 3rd row - straight stitch and french knots added. 4th row - layered and vertically tied with detached chain stitch. 5th row - Herringbone (top) "married" to Chevron (bottom) , straight stitch and detached chain added. 6th row - Herringbone base with chevron layered on top, beading and detached chain added. 7th row - Tied Herringbone with straight stitch, detached chain and french knots. 8th row - Tied Herringbone and detached chain. Threads used on this sampler include perle cottons, silk Buttonhole Twist, Pearl Crown Rayon, Stef Francis fine perle and Judith Montano hand dyed silk Buttonhole Twist.






The third sampler shows more stitch combo's: Herringbone bases with additions of french knots, straight stitches, detached chain, stacking, layering, and on the last row, lacing with silk ribbon. Again I've used a variety of cotton threads, silk buttonhole twist, Pearl Crown Rayon and 4mm. silk ribbon. Sorry the lighting on this one is not great- the whole thing has a bluish cast...

















The sampler I did this week reflects my limited time. I started with a "four row stack" in a variegated fine thread. I had planned to add beading in the middle of each row but ran out of time- maybe it will be added later...  In the second row I played with the height of the stitch... not so sure I like that row, but not taking it out now! The third row shows five rows stacked/layered very closely together- in hind sight, I wish I had spaced them a bit more, as they have "pulled in" the fabric a bit. I added a bit of sparkle with some turquoise "Candlelight" thread (by YLI). The fourth row is two layered rows with ties at all the "intersections". And the last row is done in a Sassa Lynne perle 5 (called Blue Lagoon) with straight and detached chain stitches added in an 80 tatting thread.

That's it for Week 5! Can't wait to have  a look at what everyone else has done. It's been a busy week, and with being away, I have not had time to look yet at all. Sharon has already posted the Highlights of the Week, you can see them here.

Peace,
Linda

"My mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success." ~ Helen Hayes

7 comments:

Patty C. said...

Beautiful stitching !!!!

Sandra said...

Those stitches are beautiful. So much patience. So NOT happening in my house!!
btw~i've been reading Mark's blog, sounds like he's having lots of fun!

Kathleen said...

Great work. I love your stitching. Kathy

Isabelle said...

wow, great work. I love your sampler

Raphaela said...

Creative and beautiful variations, masterly stitched - wow.

Christina said...

Now this is a herringbone sampler, love it.

Miriam said...

What a wonderful and inspiring samplers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...