STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, November 24, 2011

One down, One to go...

I'm getting into the Christmas Spirit... we have several inches of fresh white fluffy snow, and I'm working with  reds and greens. I have hung my Christmas wreath on the front door and dug out my Christmas CD's....
Here is tablerunner #1 - done. The second one is 80% quilted. I'll finish it tomorrow morning, then it'll just need binding. This is a simple and quick pattern, nothing complicated or elaborate, but I'm really happy with it. It measures roughly 12" x 36". This one is a gift for a good friend- I don't think she checks my  blog too often, so hopefully she won't see this before she receives it...The second one is for me.
Thanks Ann V. for providing us with this design at our Guild workday last Saturday! Several other members were doing them too- I can't wait to see theirs.
Although I'm not terribly excited about the arrival of winter and snow, there is something magical about that first snowfall and it does tend to put one in the Christmas mood.... My backyard was so pretty today, I just had to do these photos outdoors... Have you had snow yet where you live?

Peace,
Linda

The First Snowfall

The snow had begun in the gloaming,
And busily all the night
Had been heaping field and highway
With a silence deep and white.

Every pine and fir and hemlock
Wore ermine too dear for an earl,
And the poorest twig on the elm tree
Was ridged inch deep with pearl.

~ James Russell Lowell

7 comments:

Sue said...

nice,simple but effective, I like the split binding...

Lori E said...

Oh darn...I saw it....what? It isn't for me? Too bad because it is really a beautiful piece.

GailM. said...

Nice. That Ann V. does beautiful work. I'm definitely going to make one or two too. I like your straight line quilting. I will do that too. It looks lovely on that snow...

Linda said...

What a gorgeous runner!

Sandra said...

Is the pattern in a book?

MissesStitches said...

Your table runner is beautiful!

Linda H said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Guess this simple runner is a hit! To answer Sandra's question, the "pattern" was just a block pattern from a past issue of 100 Blocks magazine, and Ann just turned it into a runner. It is simply half square triangles, finishing at 3". You could easily make this runner by just referring to my photos for the placement. Make an equal number of red and green HST's depending on how long you want your runner to be, and the ends have a plain square of your background fabric. I have used 22 HST's in each red and green, giving a runner ~12"x36". I will do another post of both runners, when I finish sewing the binding on #2. I will try to do a closer photo and maybe that will be more helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...