STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, September 19, 2010

More Show photos

I have the greatest admiration for the KV Guild, putting on a large Quilt Show every year! As anyone who has ever been involved in mounting a Show knows, it is a lot of work! Yet this Guild commits to it each year. They are to be commended. And because most NB quilters know that it is always a high quality show, many make their way to Quispamsis to see it. It's like an annual fall pilgrimage! Once again this year, we were not disappointed.
Best of Show this year went to a whole cloth quilt by Judith LeClue. Photographing a white quilt is not easy, but this is not a bad shot, although I could not get the entire quilt in. St. George and the Dragon is machine quilted, on Judith's domestic machine, proof I would say, that she is a master quilter. I certainly hope she will enter this in the 2011 NJS. As well as Best of Show, this quilt also received first place in the Large Traditional category, the CQA Rosette and the Lorna Peacock Memorial Award. Congratulations Judith, you are one talented quilter!
Another well known KV quilter is Juliet Nowlan, and she is not without a ribbon either. Winning first place in the Modern category was Memories of Patagonia. This quilt was the result of a holiday in southern Argentina and Chile, and a visit to Torres del Paine National Park in Chile. I thought Juliet did an amazing job on the mountains - they look SO real! I loved this quilt - it got my vote for Viewers Choice, small quilt.

Two other quilts which really caught my eye were both "star" quilts. Star Bouquet (at right) by Eileen Warren was beautiful, taking second place in Large Traditional, as was Star Medallion by Darlene Pierce (left) which won second place in Group, Machine Quilted. It was quilted by well known long arm quilter Penny Bubar of Beaverdam Quiltery just outside Fredericton. I thought her quilting was exceptional - love those feathery plumes!! This was my other Viewers Choice. Click on these photos for a close-up view...













Of course there were many other quilts which had not won ribbons, but were still winners in my mind. Judging and picking out just a few is not an easy task- I know, I've done it. So many quilts in this show, year after year, are so beautifully done. Here are a few others which I really liked. California Nights by Janet Melanson of Woodstock was gorgeous- of course I'm always a sucker for jewel tones on black- love it!! This was large- 98" by 102", and made from a kit. Wow!!
Another large quilt, 85" square, was Operation Jane by Rosa Robichaud, below right. Although I have never been a committed fan of Dear Jane quilts I have to admire the work that goes into them, every block being a different design. I guess you wouldn't get bored, would you? I know I'll never do one, I'll leave that to my friend Gail in Sussex!!

Piece,
Linda

"Don't bother to be better than the competition, try to be better than yourself." ~ William Faulkner

2 comments:

GailM. said...

Nice photos L. Both Star quilts are beautiful. The quilting on the star medallion is beautiful. That Penny is certainly a beautiful longarmer. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Anonymous said...

I am also a sucker for jewel tones. It was right up my alley. I can't even remember which ones I voted for, there were so many lovely ones. Linda G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...