STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Blue vs. Green

Well the province went blue last night with a majority PC government. I'm not so sure it was an overwhelming vote FOR the PC's as much as a big vote against Graham's Liberals. Regardless, much as I love the color blue, I'm in love with green today. Here is the top for the tablerunner I told you of; I am very pleased with how it turned out.
The pattern/directions are from a magazine I picked up this summer. It's called More Fast and Fabulous Quilting Ideas , part of the Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection. It had a few projects in it which interested me, but this table topper really caught my eye. I used 9 different green fabrics, most of them batiks or hand-dyeds. This first photo is what the pattern called for. As I was putting it together, I wondered how it would look without the center section so I basted it together just to see (below). I like them both! What do you think? Sorry these photos are both just a little crooked... And look at the color difference- one was taken indoors, one outside... The one below is truer color...

I hope to get it layered and quilted tomorrow. I'm going to use a variegated green King Tut thread, by Superior threads. The backing is a beautiful leafy print, with some gold, I think it suits very well although it's more of an Olive green tone. It will be bound with one of the darker greens.
I promise a (straight!) photo when it's all finished...

Piece,
Linda

"I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree..." ~ Joyce Kilmer

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I think they are both lovely Linda, but with the green centre it loses the effect of looking like trees. The cream centred block gives the eye a break to distinguish between the 2 trees. Not sure I have explained it properly, but just my .02 worth.

Linda H said...

You're right Wendy!! And welcome home!!

bargello said...

I like them both too Linda, but I am partial to the second one, maybe due to my trip to Ireland this summer...and my love of green but I like the green concentration!

Linda H said...

I like them both too Kathy!! And I know what you mean about Ireland- all those 40 shades of green! I hear you had a great trip - can't wait to hear more about it! Its one of the places I most want to return to...

Laura Hubbard said...

I wouldn't know what youre talking about, seeing as I've never been.... ;)

S'long as I get to go, I'll let you come.... :P

GailM. said...

I like the one with the white in the center. I see Wendy's trees... I like it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...