STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, May 31, 2010

When the Horse Chestnut blooms....

I have a lovely Horse Chestnut tree at the southwest corner of my home right outside my studio window. It grew from a sprouted chestnut planted by my mother. It seemed to take many years before it reached any size at all and she always said she hoped she would live long enough to see it bloom. And she did - it bloomed the spring of the year she died. And now, every year when it blooms, I think of her and wish she was here to see it again. As Horse Chestnuts go, it is still not that big and the blooms are sparse. But there is another Horse Chestnut nearby planted by my grandmother and it is huge and covered with blooms - I'm hoping they can both see them from heaven...

I had never noticed before, until taking these photos that the individual flowers on the "stalk" are spotted with different colors- see how some are red, some are orange and some are yellow? Interesting... and the bees love it...
Tomorrow- do you like purple?


Piece,
Linda

Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain:
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

1 comment:

GailM. said...

Beautiful. Yes, I love purple... I can't wait for what you have in store for us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...