STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, April 19, 2010

Art to Walk On, Part 2

Well it's been a busy weekend and I am late showing you more photos from a local Show by the Heritage Rug Hooking Guild. I promised to share a few more of my favourites with you and here they are. This Show is SO worth a visit- the work is amazing. The largest piece is a wonderful large rug (6 or 7 feet square?) hooked by Shirley Lindsay over a span of 17 years. I have known Shirley since I was a young child and have admired her work for years. But this piece is without a doubt her most spectacular, in my mind. It depicts all the provincial flowers, and was adapted from a quilt pattern that appeared in Chatelaine magazine years ago (I remember that pattern!)
Her use of colour and shading is wonderful, and I joked with her that this rug would look sooo perfect in my home, but she didn't take the hint... I can't imagine why.. surely after working on it for 17 years, she must be tired of it by now...??!!!

Other pieces also showed wonderful colour use and beautiful shading - the skies in Inukshuk by Shirley Lewis and Blue Heron by Mary Grant are just so realistic, and so well done, don't you agree?

I seemed to be drawn to many of the pieces that had "Maritime flavor". One of my most favourite pieces in the entire show is by my good friend Carole Christie, My Dream Summer. Carole has mastered the art of using thick textured yarns and wool roving to add more texture and dimension to her work. I'm sure this piece was inspired by the cottages at the Amherst Shore in Nova Scotia where Carole spends her summers. Below are a few other favourites: Whale by Elaine Gunter, Seagull by Gladys Connely and Periwinkle Blue by Lynne Fudge. Do check out this Show- you won't regret it...
Piece,
Linda
Every man is an artist painting his life every day.

2 comments:

GailM. said...

I haven't gone yet. I'm almost apprehensive to go. I love to look at the rugs. You probably know what my problem is. I'll get there and decide I NEED to take up rug hooking. That happened to me a few years ago. I bought lots of supplies, had lessons from a local hooker, but because I was working, I couldn't get into right then. So, my fear is that I'll be overwhelmed NEED to take up the hobby again. Well, I still have all my supplies. We'll see.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the inspiration to go Linda...thankfully I have an sensitivity to wool so haven't felt Gail's need to duplicate - as I have talked myself right our of the fact that wool is not a necessity!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...