STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, February 5, 2010

Progress...tiny progress...

Well the progress seems slow on my Miniature, but I guess that's because my pieces are small. Small blocks sure don't look like much... but I am pleased with my progress. I have now completed two of the four tiniest blocks - 3/4" finished size. I have "moved on" to working on some of the "larger" blocks so I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I'll likely come back to the teeny tiny ones tomorrow and get the last two done. Then the rest will seem like smooth sailing.
What you see in the photo here is one of the "reject" Ohio Stars (on left) because it's too big! The one on the right is one of the "keeper" blocks. Behind, you see a string of quarter square triangles, chained together. Those are ready for the larger Ohio Star blocks... Color is a bit "off" here - the background fabric is black...
Someone commented on the last post and asked what I use for needle and thread. I use a size 60/8 Schmetz needle and 60 weight thread - this is a finer needle and also a finer thread - when you're working this small, every little bit helps!! I am also using Thangles for making half square triangles. I love Thangles - they are so accurate. For those who aren't familiar, Thangles are paper strips that you use as "templates" for making HST's. You cut your strips of fabric just 1/2" larger than the finished size you need- the same as strips for the rest of your project (another reason why I love them - no more Math, no more 7/8" measurements!!) You lie your fabric strips right sides together with the lighter one on top, pin on the paper strip and sew through the lines, cut apart, and press before removing the paper. Voila- perfect HST's... You can learn more about them here and watch an excellent video demonstration here.
Stay tuned for more progress in a few days...
Piece,
Linda
"You must do the thing you think you cannot do". ~Eleanor Roosevelt

5 comments:

Karen said...

Hi, Linda: Your work is beautiful, and so precise. I have never tried Thangles because...I like a challenge. :) I did a Storm At Sea in 3/4" blocks...in silk...for a liturgical runner that was 60" long. Never again...I sure admire you doing this. Your blocks are perfect and I am enjoying seeing them. Can't wait to see it finished!

GailM. said...

Man, those blocks are small. So you can get thangles in that small a size? Nice. I'll just have to see this piece when I get home, if you haven't sent it off already.

Anonymous said...

You are nuts!!!!! That "reject" will be a perfectg addition to your label on the back.

SandiMac

Anonymous said...

THanks for the inspiration! I am now back to quilting but won't start with something that small. Linda G

Kathy said...

What Gail said!!!!!!!! Man those blocks are SMALL! You are skilled.
Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...