STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, December 13, 2009

We're decking the halls...

Can you believe Christmas is less than 2 weeks away..... eeeek! But I feel I am making fairly good progress. My shopping is probably 75% finished, most of the decorating is done and my goal for today is to get the annual Christmas letter written so cards and greetings can go out early next week. I always feel like a huge weight has been lifted when that job is complete! I don't do a huge amount of baking, since yours truly ends up eating too much of it anyway and Lord knows I don't need any more extra pounds. One good day in the kitchen will take care of that. And I always leave wrapping till the end....
Isn't it funny how tradition becomes so much a part of Christmas? You don't think people notice things, but when you don't put out a certain ornament or decoration, someone says "Well Mum, we HAVE to put that here because it's always here"... I guess we truly are creatures of habit! And now that I think about it, I even tend to decorate in the "same order"... There are certain things which always come out first.. Maybe that means they are the favourites? Among the very first things I put out are my Christmas quilts and cross stitching. I guess because I spent a good number of hours making them, I want to enjoy them for as long as possible. The kid's stockings are always among the first things to be brought out. (I'm not sure I'll ever part with these, when Mark and Laura have their own homes and families...) You can click on these photos for a closer look...
My collections of angels and santas are also at the head of the list. The angels go in the kitchen and the Santas are in the livingroom, mostly on the piano. My teddybear collection (which is out all year around) is arranged on the stairway, one or two on each step. They look more festive when we get the garland, bows and white minilights on the banister. What are your favourite decorations ?
Tomorrow I'll tell you about another special Christmas collection I enjoy...
Peace,
Linda
"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

1 comment:

MissesStitches said...

I used to tie red and green Christmas ribbons around the necks of stuffed bears at Christmas time! Setting them on the steps would have been a good idea...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...