STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Purpose of Life?

Once again, I'm home from Halifax. I'm glad to say it was a successful trip. My cousin had her cataract surgery and all went well. I must say, I was impressed with the VG Hospital. She has been there for several eye surgeries and knew the ropes - we were in and out in no time! She could see some improvement in her eyesight within a matter of hours - amazing what they are doing with medical procedures these days!
While she was in the OR, I took a stroll and ended up in a lovely little gift shop within the hospital. One of the things which caught my eye was a wall plaque which stated "The purpose of life is a life of purpose". That really got me thinking about "where I am" right now.. I'm starting a new phase in my life. For the first time in almost 21 years, there are no children at home. Hubby and I are now alone, and will have a little more time to do things of our own choosing. My role as "mother" will change. I'm now a mother "from afar"..? I've done my very best to raise my children to be caring and responsible individuals. Now that they are living on their own in another city and trying out their wings, I see our parental roles as being mainly "supportive"- financially and otherwise, instead of "hands-on". Perhaps the "purpose" of our lives is shifting... No doubt my community involvement will continue if not increase. I really look forward to more time for other things... more reading, more music, more time with good friends, and more time helping others. And most importantly more time for hobbies, especially stitching.
I guess as we get older, with each year comes wisdom, and we realize just how precious life is, and how lucky we are to have our health. We never know what's around the next corner (probably a good thing) and we should live each day with purpose. September always seems to bring "new beginnings". So, while my daughter begins her new life as a University student and my son begins his Junior year in his first apartment, I look forward to tomorrow- the first day of the rest of my life!!
Peace,
Linda
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible". ~ St. Francis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said....I've always felt that September 1st is the beginning of the NEW year.
SandiMac

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful. You have a great way with words. I especially liked the phrase of that plaque in the giftshop. I spent many hours browsing the IWK giftshop years ago and always found interesting items. Now is the time for the ..... rest of our lives..... LB

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...