STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Time Travelers....

Last night I finished a great book... you know, one of those that you find difficult to put down? Are you familiar with Diana Gabaldon? I am hooked on her "Outlander" series, the story of Jamie Fraser, a Scottish Highlander from the 18th century and his time-traveling wife Claire. A Breath of Snow and Ashes is the sixth book in the series and it was every bit as good as her previous five: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and The Fiery Cross. I enjoy historical novels, but these books are more than that- they are also classified as Romance, and with the time-traveling element fit the Science Fiction genre as well. The first novel begins with Claire, a Royal Army nurse, enjoying a bit of a second honeymoon with her husband Frank Randall in Inverness Scotland in 1945. While out exploring alone, she passes through a standing stone in an ancient stone circle and finds herself back in war-torn Scotland in 1743. The story continues from there, and needless to say, I was hooked on page 2! I can't wait for the seventh of the series, An Echo in the Bone, to come out this fall. A big thank you to my friend Susan for acquainting me with these novels!
Last week Laura and I went to see the movie "The Time Traveler's Wife" based on the novel by Audrey Niffenegger. It was okay, I can't say it was a favourite. I guess I would rather have been watching a movie about Jamie and Claire....
Speaking of time travelling, I can't believe it's the last week of August. Where has the summer gone? ha- what little summer we had... Next week we'll be moving Mark and Laura off to university. Mark is going into an apartment for the first time, and being a typical guy, he's pretty laid back about the whole thing. Really hasn't given much thought to what he might need. On the other hand, Laura has been planning and preparing all summer long, has things packed, boxes labelled with entire lists of contents, etc. I guess that's the difference between guys and girls???
Both of them are working right up till the night before we leave... I can just imagine how hectic things will be next week, as Friday approaches...

Piece,
Linda

"How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flown. How did it get so late so soon?" ~ Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

bargello said...

Linda,
I loved the first 5 books that I read of D.G.'s. I haven't read the new one. Must do that as I just finished "Infidel", an amazing book that is a "must read" to assist us all in the understanding of the Muslim life and women's oppression, and am looking for a new read. have you read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
K

Karen said...

I'm a big fan of Clair and Jamie also!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...