STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wet Wednesday...

Really don't have much to tell you today...it was sort of a lazy day. I spent some time in my studio this afternoon cutting... I'll share with you in a few days what I'm up to .. it's red and white and sort of tied to July 1st.
It was too wet to work outside, although I did enjoy a walk through my garden- I love looking at the plants after a rain.. it's interesting the way water droplets will lay on some plants, and run right off of others.. So I thought maybe you would like to take a walk through my (wet) garden today.....

I love the way the water droplets stay on the leaves of this Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla)... they almost look like diamonds.






My Oriental poppies are just starting to bloom- this one called Princess Victoria Louise, is my favourite; it is a lovely shrimp color, with large deep burgundy blotches at the base of the petals. This is the first bud to split open - it will probably be fully open tomorrow. Although I dislike orange, these ones add such a bright dash of color to my garden, I could not bear to pull them out.. The rain has done a number on them, beating them down..... The petals are papery thin- almost like tissue paper.








I love Hostas..they are such beautiful plants, and right now they look so lush and healthy - no signs of any insect damage (yet). Maybe the slugs have seen my THREE boxes of Slug Bait sitting in the garage, just waiting to be called into action...










Piece,
Linda

"The rain to the wind said,
'You push and I'll pelt.'
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt." ~ Robert Frost

3 comments:

GailM. said...

Are you making a Canada Day quilt? How fun. I tend to only think of those things - on Canada day. I too, love freshness of the hostas especially on a drizzly day.

Linda G said...

Thanks for the walk. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who is not too keen on orange.

Marie Alton said...

Hi Linda ... Haven't had time to be on-line lately ... but thought I'd hop about quickly this morning before I start my To Do list!

Awesome garden pics! Hosta ... my fave plant ... so many varieties and they grow so lush! My irises are just passing their peak...all the beds have some and they really look spectacular!

I should grab Mel's camera and snap some pics before they're gone.

Must run ... chat more soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...