STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Poppies, poppies....

What a week! Prom, Graduation and now Father's Day.... and a week of rain ahead... Maybe I'll get some sewing done this week. Sure won't be doing much gardening! The weeds will still be waiting for me, once the rain is done... sadly..

The excitement is gradually dying down after Laura's big week. When all is said and done, I guess the tassel was worth the hassle, as they say... She started back to work at Kings Landing today, and Mark returns to work tomorrow after being off for a full 4 weeks. He is feeling better, but I'm not sure how he'll make out going right back to a full 8 hour day of work...we'll see if he has the stamina yet... I expect he'll find he has to gradually work up to a full day. I suspect he'll come home bushed tomorrow...

I have been working away on a red and white quilting project.. it is nearly done so you'll be seeing a pic soon. I hope to finish piecing the top tonight, just have borders left to go; then I'll have to make some decisions on how to quilt it... Stay tuned ...

My poppies have been blooming for over a week now; last night's rain beat off many petals, but there are still a few buds yet to open. My favorite one is this shrimp colored one called Princess Victoria Louise. I also have several which are a very bright orange -not my favorite color, but I tolerate them! I plant annual poppies each year too - Shirley poppies (the Flanders Fields type) plus several other varieties - some single, some are double and frilly - they don't bloom till later in the summer. Since I don't have much news after a rainy dreary few days, I thought you might just like to enjoy some beautiful blooms.

Piece,
Linda

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul". ~John Muir









4 comments:

GailM. said...

Those poppies are so nice. I've seen lots of dark colored ones in my travels to and from Nova Scota this this past few days. But by far, those pink ones are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
You have 2 perfect flowers on your page this week, Laura and the pink poppy! congratulations and I am glad that the weather held for Grad 09,
Kathy

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Sounds like you've had quite a busy time lately. It's just that time of year I think :-)
Your shrimp colored poppies are absolutely breathtaking. Perhaps I will try some next year. I should probably order seeds now so I can broadcast on the snow. What is your suggestion on planting poppy seeds? Looks like you have it down pat.
Thanks for sharing, and for playing poppy tag!
Smiles,
Pat

Linda H said...

Pat, I bought this poppy as a plant, I only plant seeds for the annual poppies. Although I scatter the seed from this plant every year, I have had no luck with getting any new little seedlings... Our summer season is so short..zone 4, don'tknow if that is the reason...
Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...