STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Glory Glory Gloriosa!!

How nice to have a sunny weekend without any major commitments. I whittled down my "To Do" list of gardening jobs. I moved some perennials, attended a plant sale and bought a few more (one can NEVER have too many plants...), got some bedding plants put in today, finished all my pots and containers, planted my Gladiolas in flats, etc. Tomorrow I will plant some seeds for Nigella, Cornflowers and several varieties of Poppies, and then the jobs will be almost done!! (I'm never totally done...)
This past week I found some tubers for Gloriosa Lilies - I'm always on the lookout for different things for my garden and lilies are a favourite. So I was thrilled to find these - let's hope I have luck getting them to bloom. They are a climbing lily, native to South Africa, and are also known as Glory Lily, Climbing Lily or Flame Lily. As you can see from the photo here, (taken from the Internet) the blooms are unusual and exotic looking - the wavy-edged petals are reflexed back and are red, lined with yellow. The green stamens are very prominent and spread outward. I hope I have success with them. I also picked up several Australian plants this year - "Kangaroo Paw" and "Joey". Once they settle in and put on some more blooms, I'll show you some pics....
Tomorrow I'll post a pic of my beautiful deep purple Japanese Iris which is finally blooming like it should- it seems to have been sulking for a number of years... I guess it's finally happy.... and that makes me happy...

Piece,
Linda

"Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity". ~Lindley Karstens

1 comment:

GailM. said...

Very nice Lily. My iris is about to boom too. And my chives are about to bloom like crazy. I don't recall having ball like blooms on them before. I have a garlic chive that bloomed but not the regular chives. My garlic chives attracts the biggest bumble bees but they are only interested in the big purple flowers not people, so I don't mind them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...