STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, May 30, 2009

How does your garden grow?

The month of May always amazes me. Things grow so quickly, you can literally see changes from one day to the next... It seems like it was just yesterday that my hostas all looked like this - just little shoots starting to grow. Now their huge leaves are unfurling and I'm falling in love with them all over again. I have a good sized bed of hostas which stretches across the front of my house and part-way around my studio. I love hostas; they don't require a lot of effort, other than keeping the slugs at bay, which is challenging at times - I'll share some more hosta photos tomorrow...


Each year I tell myself I'm going to get "jobs" done earlier.. like putting plant support rings on.... and every year I'm struggling with them a week or two later than I should be.... the plants just seem to shoot up overnight and all of a sudden, they are taller than I would like... Anyway, got that job done tonight, except for the few that I need more than two hands for...
So, what's blooming this week? I love these little purple-blue Muscari (or grape hyacinth)... those of you who know me know I'm a big lover of blue..... The purple violets are finishing off - I guess after Brian mows them off a few times, they give up till next year! My tulips are nearing their end as well. Below is a new variety I planted last fall- I love the color combination of soft pink and yellow - they have lasted exceptionally well, but are starting to drop their petals today. I took these shots last week after a big rain. This last one is the "mutant" I guess - the only one that had a little streak of red. Dare to be different!!!
Check back tomorrow for some more garden photos.. I have taken a number with darling daughter's digital camera but she didn't have time to download them for me tonight, so it'll be done in the morning and I'll post later in the day..
I'm so looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow - I'm hoping to get all my pots planted. It's been pretty cool this week... I'm ready for a warm day!!
Thanks to those of you who have enquired about Mark; he is home from the hospital (yesterday) and is slowing improving. He sleeps a lot of the day - just really worn out I guess. It will take him some time to recover... at this point the Doctor says he will be off work for 4 weeks... he's none too happy about that!! When you're a University student, and you only have the summer to make your year's income.. a month really cuts out quite a chunk! Maybe he'll be lucky and make a quick recovery. We can only hope...
Piece,
Linda
"May and June. Soft syllables, gentle names for the two best months in the garden year: cool, misty mornings gently burned away with a warming spring sun, followed by breezy afternoons and chilly nights. The discussion of philosophy is over; it's time for work to begin." - Peter Loewer

1 comment:

GailM. said...

Nice color and nice flowers. I love your pictures. I think if you ever take a class from Joen Wolfrem, she would like your pictures too. We referenced alot of nature pictures this weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...