STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter everyone!

Happy Easter! I refuse to talk about the white stuff that is falling from the sky today...at least it is pretty much melting as it hits the ground- other parts of the province are experiencing more of a blizzard...so we are lucky.... it could be worse!
I've finished two books this week, A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews - can't say it's one of my favorites. Laura was reading it for her Cdn. Lit. class - I'm glad it was she and not I who had to write an essay on it... The other I really enjoyed - also borrowed from her Cdn. Lit teacher: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. This is a great story- the kind I really enjoy- fiction, but based on factual historical events. It's the story of an evangelical preacher from the southern USA, who journies to the Belgian Congo as a Missionary, with his wife and 4 daughters. The story begins in 1959 and details their difficulties with the language, food and complex culture not to mention the ever present threat of malaria, snakebite and other "challenges"...The story is set against one of the most the dramatic political events of the time- the Congo's fight for independence from Belgium. I found this a great read- hard to put down.... now I'd like to read more of Kingsolver's books.
I have a turkey in the oven, and he's calling me...so have to cut this short. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday.

Peace,
Linda

"A room without books is like a body without a soul" - Cicero

1 comment:

Linda G said...

I liked the Poisonwood Bible too but it has been a while and the details are fading. Our kids at 20 and 22 still need the hunt. They have more fun now as they also hide for us. My son loves watching his parents crawl around on the floor looking and then have to resort to hot and cold.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...