STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Green. What a beautiful color! What comes to mind when you think of green? Life? Rebirth? Nature? Many would say growth, strength, fertility, rain,vegetation.... my husband would say grass..he loves to mow! I must admit, I'd love to smell fresh-mown grass right now.... I'd much rather look at green, than white. Yes, I'm longing for green these days - guess it's time for a visit to the local Garden Center and Nursery for a little dose of spring green....
We know that "green" is caused by chlorophyll and photosynthesis and all that scientific stuff...as quilters we think of green as a secondary color on the color wheel, the "child" of Blue and Yellow. There are so many greens: emerald green, forest green, Kelly green, lime green, sage green, moss green, teal green, grey green, silver green, khaki green, olive green, apple green, sea green, seafoam green, pea green, grass green, mint green, jade green, spring green, chartreuse green, pine green... have I forgotten any? Are you familair with the Irish song "Forty Shades of Green"? (lyrics written by Johnny Cash, by the way!!) I'm sure there must be more than forty! If you've ever been to Ireland, you know of what I speak...
The abundance of green in the natural world around us leads us to associate green with feelings of calm and peace - it's a restful color. Green is not always an easy color to work with in a quilt, because it is easily influenced and changed by the colors around it. But if you take a close look at Mother Nature, you will see that she combines and incorporates all greens - yellow greens, greens and blue-greens, successfully and sensitively. I see that in gardening- and I'm learning to pay attention to the greens of the foliage as much as the flower colors. I can't wait to watch my Hostas unfurl their leaves in June, to see all those glorious greens - all cohabiting happily side by side!
Today "Green" is taking on a whole new meaning - besides being the color of life, rebirth and growth, with both Christian and Muslim significance as the color of immortality and the everlasting, negative connotations of jealousy, envy and inexperience, green is now the color of the environment. We are (finally!) becoming more aware of our carbon footprint, and the importance of the use of environmentally friendly products. It's about time! Go green!
Have you ever been to Ireland? I've been lucky enough to go twice. I have to say it is very high on my list of places I want to return to. It's definitely in the Top 3- in a tie with Switzerland and Greece. One cannot describe adequately with words, what Ireland is all about. It definitely is a magical place- one you have to experience for yourself. Sort of like the Grand Canyon- you just have to see it to believe it. The scenery, the people, the language, the music, the lushness of the southwest where you will see palm trees, the desolation of Connemara, Galway Bay at sunset, the Cliffs of Moher.... I love it all! And certainly when you are there, you are surrounded by GREEN...
I'm thinking about another Miniature, this one all in greens, with black as the background color. I'm waiting for inspiration, perhaps it will come today... here are some greens I've gathered, with the wonderful stripe(on the right) that I'd like to use in the border. Suggestions anyone?
So how are you spending this St. Patrick's Day? Are you making Irish Soda Bread, or cooking Corned Beef and Cabbage for supper? Why not relax tonight with a good Irish movie? Here are a few suggestions- My Left Foot, Ryan's Daughter, The Secret Life of Roan Inish (great kids' movie), In the Name of the Father, and Waking Ned Devine (good comedy).
I've rambled on long enough... I'd like to leave you with an Irish Curse in case you have the need to use it, and an Irish Drinking Toast just in case you lift a pint of Guinness today...
Irish Curse: May those who love us, love us. And those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.
Irish Drinking Toast: May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.
Peace,
Linda Kelly O'Hubbard
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes". - Oscar Wilde

3 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

glad to see your post worked for you with the proper date this time!!! My ancestors came from Ireland, but I have never been there..
Happy Paddy's Day!

GailM. said...

Nice post. My hubby's ancestry is from Cork Ireland. We'll be visiting Ireland next May. It will be the first time for both of us. You speak of your hostas, if you split your beautiful giant hosta, can I have a piece, please please? :)

I think the green fabrics need a little something. Maybe the black will be enough but maybe a touch of red will be nice. That might be too Christmassy tho.

Linda G said...

The gardeners in us would love to see England and Ireland but they are still on our "to see" list. Thanks for the shot of green anyway.
THanks also for the close look at your mini last night it's wonderful.
I also like the curse. It would be so easy if they all limped but it might put some really nice people in the enemy category without cause.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...